Life is a Journey...

I've climbed mountains and walked through valleys in my lifetime. Some days are good, some days are bad. Faith in my own strength keeps me going and the love of my family. I welcome you to my journey.

Follow Me at Bipolar Vida!!!

Please join me on my journey to wellness--Click here to follow me!

Guest Blogger | Marybeth Smith's Had I Known Sooner I had Bipolar...

The most illuminating-yet incredibly devastating-period of my life happened within the last two years. I lost my friends, my job, my house and almost my husband. Unfortunately, most of these losses were due to being Bipolar, although I did not find out until it was too late.


My best friend from high school was getting married and I of course was the Matron of Honor. And what an honor it was. I loved the girl like my sister and I was enthralled to be able to stand up next to her and watch her marry the man who had managed to steal her heart. The other two bridesmaids were my two other closest friends. One I had met the summer I had met my husband at the job I acquired fresh out of high school, the other I had met through my first REAL job a couple years later. I brought the three girls together and became somewhat inseparable.


Unfortunately marrying young and naïve paired with bouts of mania (usually filled with irrational spending and ridiculous irresponsibility with money) put me in a life full of financial distress. I do not blame anyone other than my husband and I for our money problems, but they quickly began to interfere with other relationships, especially when I became Matron of Honor.


The other two friends did not have money issues and were spurting out money left and right. Being the Matron of Honor I felt I had to do the same, but lacking the money to do so kept making promises that, although I desperately wanted to keep, I would not be able to follow through with. I borrowed more money from one bridesmaid than I should ever have agreed to, with full intentions to pay her back, but a lifestyle that would prevent me from doing so.


At the time that the wedding planning was happening I was also in the process of making the decision to give up my house to foreclosure and file bankruptcy. I kept most of the details from my friends, but the constant urge to be the best Matron of Honor ever caused so much stress I could not bear it. I wanted to put as much into it as the other two girls did, but I did not have the resources. I did however pull every last penny we had into what resources I could manage, to great disapproval of my husband.


Soon the stress began to wear on all my relationships. The girls noticed my stress, although they were not all sure of the origin. Stress turned into depression. Depression so deep I decided my meds weren’t doing the job and refrained from taking them. Depression deepened. If I wasn’t helping with the wedding or working, I was in bed sleeping. I slept about 12 to 18 hours a day.


The wedding went off perfectly and a month later I fell apart. My relationships had deteriorated almost completely. I had even once threatened to back out of the wedding. I was a mess. My husband couldn’t take it any more and we were fighting like crazy. I made the mistake of telling one friend why I was upset with another friend. When she confided in the other and expressed my anger the friend I was upset with then became upset with me. (Probably also because I also owed her so much money at the time) I got angry that this friend I had trusted ratted me out and emailed her expressing my anger. She then expressed her anger and exhaustion over my recent moods. Let me say…it was NOT pretty. I still have not forgiven her for what she had said. I sent all three girls an insanely immature and ridiculous email telling them to just leave me alone and not contact me anymore. It was too hard to be their friend. The one who had betrayed me sent an email back, I refused to read it and deleted it.


That was the first time I broke down. I left work without reason and went to a place where I could be alone…and I cried for over an hour.


No money, no house, no friends and almost no husband.


A couple days after this first break down I got in an enormous fight with my husband and realized I was no longer fit to function. Without telling him where I was going I drove myself to a Mental Hospital. The LOWEST point of my life, yet the most life changing. There I was FINALLY diagnosed with Bipolar. I came home and quit my job, ashamed to go back, and became a SAHM.


The next month my father was in the hospital for quadruple bypass surgery. He made it through ok, but the stress did not help. Two months later my husband lost his job. And four months later we lost our house. It was the WORST year of my entire life.


I have not spoken with my best friend from High School since the ordeal. I got the distinct impression from an email I received after getting home from the Hospital that she agreed with my request to no longer speak. The friend I owed and STILL owe money to attempted to reconcile our relationship, but I believe the fact that I still have been unable to pay her, although I still make poor spending decisions, truly wore on her. I’ve been able to send her a check once, when the money was there, and I fully intend to pay her back with time, but I know that doesn’t change anything. The damage has already been done. The other friend I have yet to forgive, and thus prefer to not even attempt to reconcile. Although I’m sure it wouldn’t be well received anyway. I miss the other two though…immensely. But I am afraid to rekindle the relationships, even now, almost two years later.


I have finally gotten my Bipolar under control with medications and an intense amount of therapy. I still have mania and depression, but now that I am aware of it, it is easier to handle. I make friends with caution and keep a distance. I fear getting close because the loss of the other friends was very hard to heal from. I’ve been lucky enough to remain married, though it is more difficult that I believe marriage should be. He often tires of my mood swings, but does his best to understand them.


We are FINALLY getting control or our finances as well, though it has been hard to come back from where we were. I hope to pay my friend off soon. I will not be content till I have done so. But all these changes aside, my life will never be the same after my diagnoses. I wish I would have known sooner, I may have not lost so many things/people that were important to me!


Marybeth Smith is a Stay at Home Mother to three wonderful children. She has struggled with depression all her life, but it took 10 years to get the correct diagnosis. In her spare time she writes and plays tennis. She is currently seeking representation for her first novel and brainstorming for the next three. You can find her on her blogs Desperately Searching for my Inner Mary Poppins or Beneath the Smiles and Sarcasm or on her Website.


Submit Your Story or ArticleSubmit Your Story or Article

Subscribe in a ReaderSubscribe in a Reader

Share/Save/Bookmark

6 Comments:

  1. Marsha said...
     

    Marybeth's story about her two friends is almost an exact replica of a situation that I had a couple of years ago! I was moody and said things to Friend # 1 about Friend # 2. Friend 1 told Friend 2 (except she exaggerated it of course). To make things worse, Friend # 1 told Friend # 2 that I was a bad person and began to jumble my words and even added in plain LIES until I was portrayed as an evil monster. I told Friend # 1 off for the betrayal and the added lies she told. Friend # 2 believed these lies (which in turned pissed me off even more). Then hateful emails crossed paths. Hey, you know, my bipolar disorder may have led to moodiness and regretful words but EX-friend # 1 was just a plain, hateful liar who stirred up trouble on purpose.

    So while people with bipolar always blame themselves for difficult friendships...just remember that it's not always our fault. Once in a while, we run into to people who hate the world and hurt others on purpose. Those are the ones we have to stay clear of because we have the vulnerability to go down with them.

    Just wanted to add in my two cents. It's helpful to know how many of us experience the same situations.

    Great blog post, Marybeth

    -Marsha
    www.didyoutakeyourmeds.com

  2. azcruby said...
     

    Sometimes we need to step back from the soap opera of our own lives & learn to forgive others. Remind yourself that you started the quarrel with your Bipolar behavior and your friends only reacted to your irrational behavior. You have left them hurt, confused and angry because they don't know why you behaved so horribly.

    You will feel the pain until you can bring yourself to reach out and explain yourself; you owe it to your friends and to yourself. It doesn't matter whether or not you can be friends again. You need to explain what happened and then leave to them and let go of the anger. You will not get better without closure.

    I'm 64 and I've been on medication and under the care of a Psychiatrist continuously since Jan 1985. I've been hospitalized 3 times. I was born Bipolar and I speak from a lifetime of experience.

    Send them your column and let go of the anger. Do it for you.
    Carol R

  3. Laura said...
     

    I can soooo relate to this. It was like reading a story of my own life.

  4. Unknown said...
     

    Thank you for all your kind words and encouragement. I'm not sure if I'm ready to deal with their hurt and anger just yet, when I am still trying to get ahold of my own. But I know you are right and I will not be happy until I do.

    Anon Drifter...sorry you have had some of the same experiences. Ya gotta love being us!

  5. Purple Energy said...
      This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  6. roxanne s. sukhan said...
     

    I have learned to be honest about myself with my friends, but not make my identity my Bipolar disorder. I have also learned that Bipolar makes me incredibly vulnerable, almost intolerant, to stress.

    I have one very close friend, someone also with Bipolar, and a lot like me. And then I have a few acquaintances, and a two really good GFs that live in other provinces. That is all I can handle.

    I have learned to stay away from the drama, from events where people gather, dress up, and the like.

    I have never been great with money, and used to shop and spend ridiculously. But after many years and some self-reflection, I am aware, and don't go into stores unless I have a purpose to buy something necessary. I never go to malls, and I never, never do 'retail therapy.' Those times when I am tempted to make an impulse buy, I stop and ask myself why I want this thing, do I need it ... often the answer is no. Then I put the thing down and go on my way.

    My husband has coached me in that respect, and we have an agreement that he 'manages' the money, and gives me pin money, or pocket cash. I am happy of that ... relieved.

    I admire your courage to write about your story here. Many would have trouble putting the facts in black and white, where they would have to face and read them. Ah, but therein lies part of the healing, I think.

Post a Comment



 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin